Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thought Paper 8: Haight, Castro, Harvey Milk and the Duboce Park


Kendall Steele
6 November 2012
Professor Asher
FYS: Discovering San Francisco
Threes Company
            Do you know what amazes me about San Francisco? I’m struck by the individual culture each district has identified with. Sure within each district there is a multitude of different opinions and alternative lifestyles, but there is a specific motif that represents each district. After spending Monday after walking around Lower Haight, the Castro District, and both the Harvey Milk Center and the Duboce Park, I discovered not only the similarities of these communities, but I discovered the differences within each community. I discovered these differences by comparing signage between the three districts.
            As our class walked done Haight to reach the Castro district, my eyes were not focusing on the long and steep hill ahead of me. Rather, my eyes quickly scanned the vibrant and playful signage that surrounded my pathway. Our professor pointed out a few places of interest. A store dedicated to the Tibetan culture, a market similar to a Whole Foods or a Trader Joe’s, and a multitude of other unique independent shops. What distinguishes these stores from others in Union Square or the Marina is the colorful and over the top signage used to capture prospective customers. The vibrant color palette and the optical allusions displayed across the exterior of these shops are alluring to the eye. The signage is appealing to a person’s senses. In a way, the signage of Haight is engaging. People stop and take a second look at a window display, or glide their fingers over a mural, feeling the different textures of the wall. Therefore, Haight’s signage is distinct from other districts because it is engaging and over the top.
            Now that I have talked about the signage of Haight, I would like to move on and talk about the Castro district. The Castro district is known for its large population of gay and gay accepting residents. Therefore it is appropriate to claim that the signage of this district appeals to the gay and gay friendly community. As I walked through the Castro district, I saw many flags of support and several shops that featured advertisements to the gay population. Specifically, I took notice of a sign that read “Stop the Violence: Stop Hate.” This sign is of huge significance, because the backwards triangle represented in the signage was originally used as a prejudice signifier of gay affiliation during the time of Hitler’s regime during WWII. From the signage I was exposed in the Castro district, I have no problem claiming that the signage of this district is gay friendly.
            Now that I have finished discussing the signage of the Castro district, I want to begin talking about the Harvey Milk Center and the Duboce Park. From the exterior, the Harvey Milk Center looks like any other public center, like a YMCA. However, the interior is quite different from the understated façade. As I opened the doors and entered into the building, I was met with warm colors and comfy chairs. As you walk out onto the balcony, you are met with a beautiful view of the Duboce Park. As I looked into the distance, I saw dogs and their owners playing on the grass. Therefore, I believe that the signage of the Harvey Milk Center and the Duboce Park is not only public to you and I, but to dogs.
All three districts share many similarities, but it is their differences that define them.

No comments:

Post a Comment